PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bucks Uni EFT or CTC?
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2013, 19:26
lukewheeler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey charlie,

I completed my degree at bucks new uni on the air transport with commercial pilot training course in 2010. I understand what people are saying about how useless the degree is at getting you a flying job but its not all true. I'm still not a pilot but should be getting my first officer role with easyjet later this year. Following the degree, i secured a role in security at heathrow for BAA. And 4 months after that i joined easyjet as a crewing officer. Without the degree i don't think i would have passed the interview as it does go a long a long way to demonstrating your knowledge of the industry in far greater detail than anything covered by a flight school. You've got to be realistic and accept that its very unlikely you'll get a flying job as soon as you walk out. Of the 40 or so guys in my year, only the ones who could afford ryaniar went flying straight away. Others joined airlines as check in staff, dispatch or just other jobs where a formal higher education is needed. That's the benefit of the degree until you secure your flying job. After that if you loose your medical, sure it will help you get back into work but obviously not as good as some other degrees. But this one is focused enough so i highly recommend it. As for me, we just had cabair with no other option. You need to investigate to see which flying schools has the best prospects after. Does it secure you a place in the holding pool? if so i'd go for that but generally, the airlines won't consider that much where you went. Cabair was pretty much run of the mill and it still got one of the students onto the cathay cadet scheme. Some of the other guys when to susi air whilst two went on to do the ctc scheme and joined easyjet and thompson. The easyjet contract was just 8 months whilst the thompson lad has just been offered a permanent contract after only 1 year. So you never know. I'd go the holding pool but if its not offered, just go for the cheaper option. ps. join easyjet in any role and after 18 months you can apply for sponsorship which is what i'm hoping for. It gives you CTC type rating for £5K and a 3 year contract with easyjet. Not bad!