PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin refuse to let Military staff travel in uniform
Old 9th Mar 2013, 18:11
WhiteOvies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2p from this article:

It would seem that PO Howse has had an email rant which has then been leaked to the Mail by her 'friend'.

G4S should get the kicking for this rather than Virgin, as it was on security advice that the Virgin staff acted.

You should never be made to feel embarrassed for wearing the uniform of your Country. If other people feel uncomfortable that's their problem.

Security considerations of travelling in public in uniform should be considered. Northern Ireland is still an issue, if much reduced from the 'bad old days'.

People in the UK have less respect for the military than in the US. As I currently serve in the US this is obvious every single day. In the US active duty military and their families are automatically TSA pre-approved, on duty travel or off duty, allowing a much quicker and more pleasant experience at airport security. Hence PO Howse would have had an easy time at LAX but quite different at Heathrow. Why am I not surprised?

On duty travel I have worn uniform when flying US internally as I have gone straight from my normal work to my detached work. This has led to several interesting and friendly discussions with US forces personnel and veterans on flights, plus priority boarding with some Airlines. When travelling back to UK I normally wear civvies, on a rushed compassionate case I may not, depending on the situation. It is normal in the multiple times I have transited Dulles to see military personnel from other countries wearing uniform, Germans, Italians and an African nation being recent sightings.

I've served on 2 different Squadrons with PO Howse and she has always had a very sensible head on her shoulders and is a first rate Petty Officer. I would have been frustrated too, had I been treated the way she was treated. The UK could learn a lot from the US across a whole breadth of industries when it comes to the real meaning of 'customer service'.