PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Scottish Air Force
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2013, 17:49
TomJoad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Courtney Mil
I'm impressed, TomJoad. A good and relevant answer. Thank you.

In particular, I support your statement:

Basing for QRA and LF training springs to mind. When the UK gets a replacement MPA, there would be a good argument for deploying those assets for mutual benefit. Although it won't be military for much longer, SAR may well be a British Isles task - better than duplicate or non-cooperating ops.

This is, of course, IF. Very unlikely that separations will happen, but I get the feeling it's getting slightly more likely every month. But you have answered some of my questions about affordability.
Don't really see any evidence that the the YES vote will prevail as you suggest. I do believe we will vote to remain with the union. However, what will follow will I suggest be the more interesting outcome. The shape of the union will change. The inevitable consequence of devolution is progression towards full tax raising, fiscal and regulatory autonomy. The chestnut of the West Lothian question will finally be laid to rest as the UK moves towards a federal system. I find it inconceivable that the Union will survive in the same way as we know it now; it is becoming increasingly irrelevant and ill serving to the component states.