PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin refuse to let Military staff travel in uniform
Old 9th Mar 2013, 17:01
orca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is essentially a bit of a non-story really isn't it? Navy girl wears uniform to travel, security guard gets it wrong. Ace.

My own thoughts:

1. Yes MTP is uniform. Would any naysayer care to mention what they consider a (modern, contemporary, relevant) uniform to be? She serves in the desert - not the Bravo turret of a dreadnought at Jutland.
2. Yes service personnel should feel free to wear their uniform in public. They should feel proud to serve and whilst on duty travel should feel free to display this openly.
3. Arguably service personnel should be encouraged to wear uniform in public. We generally give a good account of ourselves on and off the battle field. Generally someone representing themselves well in identifiable uniform will be good ambassadors for whomsoever they represent.
4. Members of the public and certain companies feel that they owe our service personnel a large vote of thanks. (They are quite correct). They can hardly display it openly if they have no idea who the service personnel are.

I currently live and work in the USA. On duty travel I wear MTP. It is a uniform and one that I have worn on Ops. I get occasional thanks from passers by, I have had the odd free snack on airliners and sometimes get to board the aeroplane first. I don't really see this as being a plus for me - although it is - I see it more from the point of view of people who just want to say thanks, and it's nice to hear/feel their gratitude. I live in a society that truly values their military and neither side of the equation has any bashful feelings about showing it.

MTP is comfortable and you get off the flight 'ready to fight'. Other uniforms aren't the same - I would rather wear hessian underwear than my issue blues for a long flight. I don't personally like wearing flying coveralls for anything other than when I'm actually committing the aviation....and mucking out the chickens.