PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Balmoral downsizing ???
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2003, 08:29
Sir Cumference

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree that we all need to work together. One lesson in aviation is that it is a very small industry. There are very few occasions when a name or company or individual is mentioned that we all know a little about and sometimes a lot. In this industry you cannot afford to have enemies as in a short period you could well require help from that source.

I have always been amazed at the amount of cooperation between the Rossair's, King Air Services, Balmoral etc. The crews have a comraderie second to none and management seem to work together to a large degree. Obviously competition is healthy and so to cooperate yet also compete is a good thing for all of us.

To Oskar Yankee, I think that maybe you have missed a point. I believe that the playing field should be level, I think that we all agree on that score, however there is some pretty strong evidence that it is not where AA are involved. Contraxdog does hit the nail on the head when he makes mention of the fact that contracts are won and then lost for a year, then won again. Bids are submitted that are below the operating cost of the aircraft. Unless AA were a charity and not a business, how can they do that? Unless of course they are receiving a little payment from the Danish Government or some similar source!

There seems to be a perception that there is a huge amount of money to be made in this part of the industry. With the kind of competition and number of players, other options are gaining favour and I strongly believe that margins are getting so tight that corners are going to be cut in an effort to make some cash!

Keep the cooperation going, do not lose the spirit between all of the crews, we are all in the same boat and hopefully with a level sea!!