PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - " FAA concerned about increase in manual handling errors"
Old 9th Mar 2013, 12:11
Linktrained

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some errors are too easy

" Some of the radio controls were not accessible from the F/O's seat..."

The VHF selectors were behind my left ear. The ADF was manually tuneable from below and behind my bottom.
As a very newly promoted F/O ( now paid an extra £100 pa.) we took some of the British Olympic Team to the 1952 Helsinki Olympics. Our route was via two NDBs, "Oboe Jig Jig" and " Oboe Jig Yoke" which should prevent us violating a Prohibited Area. The two NDBs had frequencies 5 Kcs apart.
I cannot recall which of the other three Flight deck crew tuned the ADF. ( Captain, 2nd. Officer or Radio Officer, we had one of each then !).
Those who remember Morse Code will have noted that the last letter of each of the identifiers, "Jig" and "Yoke", differ by having a Dot and a Dash transposed.
( YES, I should have checked, too.)
We violated. We had an investigation, delaying our departure.
Some months later I got a letter from the Ministry telling me "not to do it again."
I have not been to Helsinki again.
Was that what they meant ?
The two NDBs retained their identities and frequencies for at least ten more years - I used to check their listings from time to time, but never went there... That was what the Ministry said.

Idlewild used to give a " HAMPTON 4 DEPARTURE "which was sometimes read back as " HAMPTON FOR DEPARTURE"

Elsewhere " CLEARED TO FIVE ZERO" ... Or was that " TWO FIVE ZERO"