PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Bastards Closed all the Best Bases.
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2013, 03:11
Q-RTF-X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very Good
Akrotiri 61-64 Canberras then Station Flight (variously SITF/VASF then TASF) Great Kebab gatherings - Personal No 1 Little Arif
Masirah 66-67 Fantastic esprit de corps and always busy. Never a dull moment
Akrotiri 70 - 73 Lightnings, Lightnings and Lightnings plus inevitable Kebab and Meze bashes. Little known spot on opposite side of road from Little Arif heading towards the Keo factory, about 100 yards or so. Never knew the name, we only knew it as "The Shilling Brandy Coke Bar". It was just as we named and the owner was generous to a fault with the Brandy but nursed the coke like it was the last bottle in the world. Fantastic value; very basic place, would be packed with a dozen guys there ! Great for warming up then only a short stagger to Little Arif.

Not too bad
Valley late 60's - Granted I was on MPC - Our own world really. Despite much bad press I did not find the locals too bad, maybe because we had our own circle and did not need to rub shoulders with the Trogs too much, though those I did seemed OK.

Not very keen
Scampton - Miserable in Winter, and it seemed like winter most of the time.
Wattisham - Miserable full stop

Was always sorry never got to FEAF but in another life spent a lot of time in that part of the world. Even got to set up a corporate ground handling office at Seletar

Last edited by Q-RTF-X; 9th Mar 2013 at 11:42.