PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Sharjah
Thread: RAF Sharjah
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2013, 16:04
SAROSKEETERMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sharjah a/c visitors.

capot I don't have too many 'Gulf Avn' DC-3's logged down in my notes for Sharjah and I don't seem to have taken photo's of the ones that did come in. Perhaps I thought they were too 'common' then! I know our mail came into Dubai A/P and often after work I 'cadged' a lift with the Army "postie" guys to collect it off the DC-3(from Bahrain I assume?) Very quiet place then, there never seemed to be many a/c there, only the odd 'Iran Air' DC-3.
alisoncc Well there you are, I never saw that Lebanese 1-11 that you mentioned! Though mind you, as we went swimming at Khan Creek most afternoons & I daresay that even I missed quite a few of the visiting a/c. I remember while at Khan Creek 3 Indian A/F An.12's taking off from Sharjah after a short refuelling stop and climbing up over our heads. Drat - missed them! Well it certainly was a great place for anyone like myself who had an interest in aviation. Did you see any of the Helio H500 Twin Couriers that staged through. Apparently there were only 7 built and I saw 5 of them but only managed to photograph 2. They mostly arrived late at night and left in the early hours. The other 2 may have passed through but I was away for a month when I 'indulged' back to the UK for Christmas. They were en route to India where I believe they were(allegedly!) used by the CIA in Tibet. Even their 'N' regs were bogus, I think I have info' somewhere that says one of them should have been a DC-9!
Were you at Sharjah in Sept' '65 when a French A/F Breguet 763 Provence en route to Tahiti had to make an unscheduled landing with a cracked exhaust manifold? Wonder whether you worked on that?

Last edited by SAROSKEETERMAN; 8th Mar 2013 at 16:12.