PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Collective Colour Vision Thread 4
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2013, 12:47
Smiless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I just came back from several colour assessment tests at City University. To cut a long story short, after a couple of different colour tests, I went on to do the CAD test.

At first, I did the blue/yellow test, and I got a threshold of 0.79 - Better than a normal person with normal colour vision according to the lady. But then I did the red/green test... Threshold: 21 - Green deficient. Way over the limit. The lady herself looked and sounded a bit shocked when she came back into the room to see that result. Especially because she seemed fairly confident that I would pass the CAD test relatively easily and quickly. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case...

I have to say though, the test really is frustrating. Sitting in a pitch black room facing a computer screen seriously messes with your vision, and tires your eyes quite quickly - Especially on the longer red/green test (9 minutes). Also, I've got to admit, that I really started rushing the test and ended up clicking buttons as quick as possible, which might have contributed to such a bad result, but to be fair, I think I would still fail if I got a chance to do it again, as 21 is extremely high.

The CAD test really does move extremely quickly. In all honesty, it feels as if you have less than a second to look where the square block is moving to.

Nevermind. I think that is the final call now, and there will be one less pilot in the skies. It's extremely painful to throw away my childhood dream of being a commercial airline pilot, especially after saving up, gaining the courage and spending the money on my Lasik eye surgery to pass the vision restrictions to then find out I am colour deficient - At least I have better than perfect vision now.

All the best to you colour deficient guys & girls. It's not a fun experience to find out you are colour deficient just before you aim to start taking flying lessons. Good luck with your medical/vision tests in the future guys!