PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky + Boeing pitch ‘X-2’-based design for US Army JMR TD effort
Old 8th Mar 2013, 11:46
JohnDixson

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
CG Tolerance

Keesje,

A lot of people have fallen for the "obvious truth " that the tandem rotor machine will always have a huge advantage in allowable CG range.

What a surprise ( to some, not all ) when the US Special Ops community initiated the MH-60 and MH-47 aircraft. Comparing both at their max weights, one found that the MH-60 had either equal or a tad more ( I cannot recall which, but it was certainly not less ) CG range. I think if you look at the 53E and 53K, and compare to the latest 47 models at max weight, you"ll find approximate parity.

Awaiting a response from SAS, to the effect that: " We'll, SA, you finally woke up and canted the tail rotor 20 degrees, now if you went the extra 70, you'd really have something! ". I might have mentioned that some years ago, in discussion after his presentation to a AHS Northeast Region assemblage, Dr. Marat Tishenko said, in response to my question as to why MIL had never flown a canted tail machine, that " we never could figure out why in the world Sikorsky actually did that!".