PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASA does it again - 2011 OOL near miss investigation released
Old 8th Mar 2013, 10:04
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nautilus I'm not a controller so what you say is eagerly absorbed somewhere in my grey matter i.e. I'm open to being educated!

Now that I've 'absorbed' your post I've got a couple of questions and observations...

If, as you say, a LoSA (which I thought meant 'loss of separation assurance') is a purely ASA recognised incident then why out of the 33 events listed above for 07-12 has there been 11 LoSA events that have been investigated by the ATSB?

None of those events were downgraded to a level 5 investigation and all of the completed investigations carry a full 'final report'. Which would indicate that a LoSA is, at least sometimes, regarded by the ATSB as serious enough to divert their limited resources to investigating.

So NB is this adhoc effort by our bureau to investigate some of these LoSAs a purely Australian phenomenon for a ICAO accredited aviation accident investigative body to investigate? Or could it be that LoSAs are indeed recognised by ICAO as a reportable occurrance?

It is also worth noting NB that purely by the action of the ATSB initiating a full blown investigation into some of these, ASA defined, LoSA incidents that ICAO would (or should) automatically be notified as per Annex 13!

Last edited by Sarcs; 8th Mar 2013 at 10:06.