PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Africa World Airlines
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2013, 09:40
Sean Mendis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sean M with your prev xperience what in your opinion is the problem with AWA. We and i belive others share the view of the great expectations we have for this start up especialy given the local environment it would operate in.
I won't say that there is a "problem" with AWA. I am not closely enough involved with the airline for the last few months to be able to make that assessment.

I will however say that the Chinese shareholders and their appointed Chinese management team have chosen to pursue a very different business model than was conceived by our team and that was the basis for all the decisions made during start-up. This is unfortunate, because they were also part of the decision making process and had a very large say in the start-up process. If I were presented with what appears to be their current business model today (they have not coherently outlined one either publicly or internally to the best of my knowledge) and asked to lead the start-up project again, I would probably decline as I have significant doubts as to its long-term viability.

I voiced my concerns about this to all the shareholders, both Ghanaian and Chinese, when I was exiting the organisation last year. I am not the only one who has done so. Nonetheless, it is their airline to run and their money to spend, so all I can do is provide counsel when asked. Only time will be the judge about whether they have acted wisely.