PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airman Aircrew pay review
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2003, 00:02
keepin it in trim

Apache for HEMS - Strafe those Survivors!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I left the RAF last year at my 38 option, as a pilot and at the rank I held I had a guaranteed career to 55 if I wanted it. Had I elected to stay, and it was my choice to go, I would have collected £30 000 AFTER tax at my option date merely for staying for another 5 years. I know several people in the same position who took exactly the same decision.

I had already decided to go when the retention incentives were announced and they did not even make me think twice about changing my mind. I have taken a very large pay cut, over 30% less, in my new career. BUT, am I happy? Yes I am. I get time off to spend with my family, enjoy my hobbies and watch the world go by. The money was never the issue for me, quality of life was the issue, and that is the nub of the problem for you guys.

When the FRIs for officer aircrew were announced the point was made that generally pay was not the issue, however, the non-remuneration issues were now so expensive to fix and would take so long that in the short term paying people a bit more to compensate was the only option.

Unfortunately this policy has come a little(!) too late. I have this theory that when people are a bit hacked off paying them a bit more will probably stop most of the gripes. However, if you wait until they get really hacked off the kind of sums necessary to make them happy again rapidly become unaffordable. I think that is now the situation. You have my sympathy, and we all know where that comes in the dictionary, but I think from what I have heard and given the fact that MoD genuinely is skint, what is being offered is probably the least worst solution in the circumstances.

I must say that I am a little shocked at the apparent divide between officer aircrew and non commissioned aircrew in some fleets. I spent my entire career working in a "mixed" environment and I always felt that we were a strong team. I also did everything I could to fight the corner for my team when I ultimately found myself in a command appointment. I would hope that all officers would take the same stance and that those who do not are the exception.

For what it's worth, and in my admittedly very limited experience of them, I think that quite a lot of people at Stn Cdr level and above try their best but the treasury squashes lots of good ideas on cost grounds, remember they are not generally allowed to come back and say "well we tried guys but it was turned down by Gordon" ( I saw some very strong comments by one senior officer about the FRIs for officers and the fact that an equivalent package was necessary for NCO aircrew ). However, the treasury is interested in paying the bare minimum required to get enough people to do the job. Sounds like this package reflects that.

For all of you on your way to sandy places, best of luck and take care.