PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Prescription sunglasses.
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2013, 07:33
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remember to ask for the sunglasses to be NON-polarised....
Been there, done that. It's not just the flash of other aircraft, or the perspex canopy. Modern screens, such as the iPad screen and many displays of modern avionics, are also polarized and are unreadable in the wrong orientation. With my favourite pair of sunglasses I can only use the iPad in landscape mode, and I have to tilt my head ever so slightly so that the frequency display on the radio is readable.

Have you ever tried to change contact lenses in flight?
I have hard contacts. Have had them for 20 years and only had problems with them a few times. Typically in high-wind situation where some sand or grit blew in my eyes. Not much chance of that in an aircraft.

Yes, I can change them bare-handed without the aid of a mirror or something. With hard lenses the trick is to put some spit on your fingertip first and put the lens on top of the spit. That'll keep it in place.

Anyway, I'm not recommending you carry a spare set of contact lenses instead of a spare set of spectacles. That would be illegal of course. So this is entirely theoretical...