PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2013, 00:04
Bushranger 71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apologies if I digressed a bit from the primary thread theme.

Lonewolf_50; I was fortunate to get some experience aboard RAN warships, but only a little on carriers. Regrettably though, never managed to get aboard the big US platforms which have always awed me.

Hi SpazSinbad; thank you for the beaut info. I guess I am breaching 'security' now, but JB (Bomber) and I have had lots of dialogue over the past couple of years re the OV-10 Bronco study.

Deviating a bit more. During the Vietnam show, we often had to deliver high volume ball ammunition as close as 10 metres from own troops when they were in dire situations. That cannot be done with acceptable risk from platforms only equipped with explosive ordnance, such as Apache/Tiger AAH. While Predator and the like can probably hang around in murky weather conditions, such UAVs presently only deliver very costly guided HE weaponry (like Hellfire), so their usability in very close quarters combat situations is doubtful. That may of course change with advancing technology, but I do not see them replacing helo gunships or even something like a Super Tucano in the nearer term.

Having said that, there are lots of potential benefits in operating UAVs from carrier platforms.

Last edited by Bushranger 71; 8th Mar 2013 at 00:15. Reason: Grammar