PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Prescription sunglasses.
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2013, 21:30
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wear contact lenses with plain sunglasses. It works for me.
Me too. And when doing aerobatics my required "spare set of spectacles" is actually my old set of (hard) contact lenses. Same prescription and everything as my current set, just a few years older.

It's not quite legal, but I find bringing a spare set of contacts safer than bringing a spare set of spectacles:

1. Much easier to carry around *safely* on an aeros flight. I can just put them in my pants pocket.
2. I can swap out a single contact lens if necessary. Putting on my spare glasses if something happens to one of the contacts requires removing the other contact lens as well, and will render me temporary blind.
3. I have not worn glasses in a very, very long time and get an instant headache if I do because the focus is different (in the center of the glass instead of in the center of where I'm looking) and around the edges of the glasses the image is distorted.

(When flying S&L I have my flight bag with me. In it is the spare set of spectacles to make things legal, and the spare set of contacts for use in emergencies. Honestly, the only time the spare set of spectacles comes out of the case is at the medical. And last time the AME didn't even need to see them when I told him nothing changed since the previous medical.)