PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Congratulations RAF Lossiemouth ... You fit lot !
Old 7th Mar 2013, 20:41
PapaDolmio

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
L**s, damned l**s and statistics

Well done Lossie! Now please add all the sicknotes, exempt etc.....

KPI's are only as good as the data used and can manipulated to show what you need them to show.

Not many years ago I took over an Ops Support Flight at a certain MOB and one of my monthly jobs was to submit the monthly KPI's. We had a large number of personnel exempt for reasons ranging from injury through to pregnancy and everything in between. Out of our 'fit' personnel we had one RAFFT failure on remedial.

Counting the ACTUAL Strength of the flight our RAFFT Pass KPI was 45% whereas it was 90% if I only counted those able to take the RAFFT. I duly reported the lower figure as I figured it gave a TRUE indication of the flights ability to undertake it's operational role and the number of personnel able to deploy OOA etc..

A couple of days later I was summoned to OC Ops to explain why our RAFFT KPI had dropped and was told to amend and resubmit the figures.

It may not be widespread practice and while our low figure was probably exceptional, I wonder how many other sections, flights, squadrons, wings etc... do the same and what the true figure would be if everyone was counted?