PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Prescription sunglasses.
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2013, 15:15
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A word of warning 5 years back I went trundling off for my medical to be told I needed reading glasses.

About a Boots number 1

I was banished to get a set of prescription glasses and drove the 50 miles back to my home town minus a medical.

Rushed to buy some subscription glasses and as I hated wearing glasses asked if they could be tinted to look like sunglasses! Spent a small fortune on my two sets of sunglass like prescription glasses and drove the 50 miles back to get my medical which I needed urgently.

The Ame insisted we ran the whole eye test again as the regs required the test be done wearing the subscription glaases.
All was fine till the color test! Out came the book and I could not read a thing!
I was puzzled as color vision does not change but I was now color blind with threats of sending me off to Gatwick.

Then the penny dropped! Put on yellow glasses and look at blue and a guy with the best color vision on earth will see GREEN!!!
Ok these were brown.
I mumbled my explanation to little avail even pointing out that Raybans should be banned as they rendered pilots color blind.
I went off again 50 miles to my home town to buy another set of CLEAR glasses at vast expense to drive the 50 miles back and was issued with my medical.
Never went back to that AME after that charade

Pace