PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Future Pilot Programme.
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2013, 10:00
Wirbelsturm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The biggest problem on SH is that you do not carry the same crew on all sectors and run a day 'as a crew'. It used to be done that way at LGW but never at fortress Heathrow.

Therefore, with 3/4 different crews a day, it can be difficult to get any form of social bonding going on. The sectors are busy and the nightstops are short. As flight crew we generally go out for a drink for a bit of a wind down. The crew don't tend to as they want to save allowances or just sleep. I saw it for years on SH and I wouldn't call myself a difficult person either.

The difference is that this was never down to the dispute of a few years ago, this was always there. On LH however there was a far more distinct 'them and us' feeling, especially when you got active Union crews together. In some respects this was fuelled by the company with the increase in perceived importance that the CSD was given. Even so far as to contemplating making the CSD the second in command many years ago.

My point was to counter a sweeping generalisation that things are strained between the CC and the FC. This is fundamentally wrong. The atmosphere, especially now that the power of BASSA has dissipated, is far more pleasant then it has been for the past decades on the LH fleets. You will always get the occasional one who wants to remain apart, that's their choice but in general it has been a big improvement.

If you haven't been on the LH fleets of old you wouldn't understand just how difficult they used to be.