PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 10
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2013, 16:51
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clandestino
It's not a key detail but infrared herring. Issue is not handling but having no idea of the aeroplane's energy state. CM2 stalled aeroplane pretty deftly.
Not sure I agree with the first sentence - if HA manual handling was taught as part of basic conversion training, then there would have been a reinforced mnemonic inside the F/Os' heads that pulling up to that extent in the cruise is a very bad idea. As are large control inputs in general.

Not quite... it will maintain flightpath so left with nose-up, it will increase pitch as airspeed decays and alpha goes up. However, it is not as bad as some try to make it seem. Pilot needs to be quite incapacitated to leave the aeroplane wonder on her own.
Agreed - the point I was making is that with this system, the aircraft will do it's best to go exactly where you point it until either it can no longer comply, or until you point it somewhere else. This consequently means that while handling the aircraft is a simpler process, levelling off must be a distinct and conscious act - but that's not really different than for any other type.

Originally Posted by Lyman (re: falsifying recorder evidence)
But if I wanted to, I would......
Then firstly, do you not think it slightly presumptuous to infer that an accident investigation service who are compelled to abide by strict standards would do the same? And secondly, with due respect, I'm damned glad you're not an accident investigator.

Hopefully this thread will shortly return to rest, 'cos there's nothing new being discussed here.

Last edited by DozyWannabe; 6th Mar 2013 at 16:55.