PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 10
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2013, 13:58
Lonewolf_50

Received 417 Likes on 260 Posts
Howdy, Clanedstino, as usual your comments spice up our discussion.

A few points:
... have a look at the CM2 stick trace! That's made by a guy who believed he would die if he just lets go of the stick! Such accidents are with us ever since the aeroplanes were first stalled!
On that we are in violent agreement, but the context of my comment to jcjeant was about the passengers' fear and anxiety being presented in the courtroom as a complaint. Given that they died as a result of the crash, their 'fear and anxiety' seems nearly irrelevant to me ... in that little side bar.
True, but not very applicable to AF447, which was a case of pilots unable to remember and apply basic flying lessons at 4AM, which might be partly affected by not understanding how thin is the Airbus's technological armour shielding from the elements.
CVR time tags indicate about 2:10 AM to about 2:14 AM as "when" this happened.
Have a look at the pitch; it's not consistent with CM2 doing low level UAS drill at high level, but rather as if he were trying to run away at all costs from something he believed was coming from below to get him.
His ex wife perhaps? Legend has it that harpies know how to fly. Your post made me chuckle.
Mac the Knife
Wouldn't their Attitude Indicator showing a lot of blue sky given them a clue?
Clandestino
They absorbed roll info all right but just couldn't connect the blue
on AH and rapidly winding altimeter with idea they will eventually run out of speed and stall.
At the risk of being pedantic, by "winding" do you mean increasing or decreasing? I presume the former. If you meant the latter, it would indicate "already stalled" to the discerning pilot.

EDIT:
As to "what they were probably thinking" I will mildly disagree with you.
a. Probably nothing at all.
b. Control inputs and cockpit audio bear no trace of anything that suggest the presence of rationality.
c. They were panic stricken.
a. Probably thinking "why's it doing that?" or "Why isn't it doing what I expect it to do?" (even though what was expected might not have been aligned with how the aircraft systems work) and then "What's it doing now?" and later on, at least from the right hand seat "WTF is going on here?" There may also have been some background thought on "Why is that stall warning going off?"

b. They indicate a crew behind the aircraft. There were reasons for some of what they did, hence a rational thought process, but those reasons seem to have been based on faulty diagnosis of their problem, faulty recall of procedures, and faulty flying skills, and faulty CRM technique.

c. In the last minute, maybe so, but in the first three, confused more than panic stricken ... unless there's more to my guess about the pursuing harpy than my wisearse comment warrants!

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 6th Mar 2013 at 14:32.