PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Future Pilot Programme.
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2013, 12:58
Wirbelsturm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The legacy cabin crew do not have a great relationship with the pilots.
Well, there were 14 of us out last night for a rather pleasant meal and conversation. So I don't know where that little gem has come from.

Ironically both sets of CC are an absolute pleasure to fly with. With the sad events of the IA behind us I can categorically say that the atmosphere on the aircraft is possibly the best it has been for many, many years.

Everyone loves to mention the pensions deficit quoting facts from 6-7 years ago. Since then IAG has increased payments into the scheme. APS is slowly disappearing, NAPS members have had to increase their contributions for a lower pay out and the company has introduced BARP for new joiners, a money purchase scheme. The upshot of all of this is that the pensions plan is looking very healthy into the future.

Short Haul has recently (post BMI integration) increased productivity with the overall aim of turning profit by 2015. Whilst many seem happy to slander the 'unprofitability' of SH they don't grasp the funding concepts behind a feeder system. The movement of Airbus to Gatwick this year should see an improvement in their productivity as the increase in airframes will allow a greater flexibility of route structure as more airframes means less time for each one needing to 'touch' Gatwick for the slots. Chances of SH being 'sold off', very, very slim. IAG want continuity of product.

Law breaking? There are few major international companies that don't push the boundaries. Remember that the partner for the Atlantic scheme gained immunity from prosecution by blowing the whistle. Also back filled EU legislation has been responsible for some of the negative press about operations. It shouldn't go on but it does. Fly to Africa and see how far a pious attitude gets you.

“Some people who have dealt with me have said that I can be unreasonable. And I'm disappointed, actually, that it's only some people who say that.”
I have spoken to Willie Walsh on several occasions and he is a very competent CEO. His job is to bring profitability to the board and a dividend to the investors. He isn't in it to be Mr Popular. I would suggest that other CEO's of blue chip companies would be exactly the same.

but my passion for flying could not overcome the huge risk that joining this program would entail
Your choice but many of the 'facts' you posted are either old and outdated or put with a controversial touch. Things in the company are most definitely not how you would lead people to believe them to be.

Enjoy!