PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ANSETT-ANA/COUNTRYAIR TERMINAL
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2013, 06:34
frigatebird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was there when Max Conrad ferried the Robertson Stol Twin Commanche in for Graham McCamley of "Tartrus". Got to climb into it before he did on arrival to have a look, and to shake the hand of the famous Max himself. Don was the Piper agent for the area then and used to sell new Pipers to the graziers, and if they weren't using them much, would work a deal with them to lease them back and put them on the line in Rocky for charter. Don't know if he sold the Twin Commanche to Graham, was most probably sourced by Graham himself being a Robertson Stol variant.

Another day I remember well was when I was tasked to take a Vet on the short hop to a station just west of Rocky in the loop of the river about where "Rookwood", "Foleyvale" "Darcomba" or "Leura" are. The name "Ohio" rings a bell - we used to call it Oh Aitch Ten, - I think it may have been around there somewhere too - but may not have been the place. Can't decipher the abbreviations in my logbook now for the properties I used to land at..
Anyway, took the Vet out and we landed, and were picked up at the strip and taken to the stockyards, not far from the homestead, where he had to turn a well bred colt into a gelding. While the Vet went about his business with the horse on the ground, the activity at the yards had caught the attention of a resident from the homestead. I heard this panting and wheezing, and looked around, to see the most battered and ugliest dog I had seen to that day, and since.
He was was an old Blue Heeler, dragging himself to where the action was on three legs, steering with one eye,- but that eye was bright -, head cocked at an angle with one ear slashed and torn and the other flattened and mishapen. His body was a wreck, but when he got near the rails and action, he seemed to gain energy and took a keen interest in the proceedings. Later when we were having a cup of tea before flying back, we learnt his story. Seems the owners had had him since when they drew the brigalow block. He was a top dog for getting the Scrubbers out of the brigalow, and was valuable for the owners having a cash flow as they worked to pull the scrub and develop the property in the early days of occupation. They had kept him when past his working prime, but his genes proved good in successive generations, and he still hankered for the action but couldn't keep up with his offspring in the paddock.