PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming an airline pilot with mild asthma?
Old 6th Mar 2013, 06:01
TheGuyNamedCris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Becoming an airline pilot with mild asthma?

Hello all. I have been long interested in aviation and travel since I was young and I am considering perusing a career in the aviation industry as a commercial pilot. I don't need people telling me it is a bad idea - I have done my research already.

Anyways I suffer from mild asthma, allergy induced primary. I am allergic to dogs and cats. I have never been hospitalized, and I currently do not use steroid medications. My symptoms are infrequent, and not severe. In fact, I have never had a legitament attack, only have I gotten tight, and started to wheeze. I am 16 years old now, my peak flow is around 460, which my doctor tells me is normal for males my age.

I will likely get my first class medical, or try, later this year. I was under the impression that its a good idea to get it early- just to know you can pass it. Do I have a chance at getting a certificate? I will likely bring a doctors note to AME - that states I am safe to fly with my asthma. I have been hearing a lot about waivers. Will I get a waiver, and if so, will I have a chance at getting an airline job in the future? I live in the US and plan to stay in the US for my career. My dream airline is American, or Emirates, but I will be grateful with any job. But do they even consider asthmatic pilots.

I understand that getting a job outside of the US is harder medically. As said previously, a job at Emrates would be fantastic. But would they even look at my application? Am I obliged to not tell them about my asthma? Will they like the fact that I speak three languages fluently (English, Spanish, and Arabic) , and I am in the process of learning another (Man. Chinese). I also play soccer for an academy team that travels across the US. I will likely get soccer scholarships for school, but does this clear to show that I am in shape? Please help me come to terms with this, cause I am freaking out!