PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Bastards Closed all the Best Bases.
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2013, 04:06
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
"Bruggen; if only for the golf course"

You will be pleased to learn that said golf course is still there and very much active. I went to Bruggen last Sept for the closure / reunion of the gliding club and sports flying in Germany per se. Had a good, and nostalgic, look around, on a glorious sunny day but the base was devoid of people.

"Q" is now a wasteland, as are the HAS sites. There is a small(ish) memorial under the "Welcome to Javelin Barracks" sign to commemorate ( which is nice of them, I suppose ) the former RAF Bruggen and other traces remain.

If you want to see a real ghost town however, try Rhein'D. Lets just say the silence was deafening. The party was held there as the Army, being the Army, declined to let the party take place at Bruggen.

Purely for nostalgia, the BP garage in Elmpt has gone, but, the much frequented schnell imbiss, on the "S" bend by the Esso garage / Neiderkruchen road, has now been transformed into a paved dining area, with seats and tables no less....hence we had no option other than to dine there....force of habit as they say.

Last edited by Krystal n chips; 6th Mar 2013 at 04:21.