PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 10
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2013, 22:24
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
TNX Chris and PJ for getting me back to Earth.

I realize that we had the AoA discussion way back before I started to comment, but I had read the threads with only one comment until after we saw the wreckage pattern and got into control laws and a deeply stall jet.

As several had pointed out, a derived AoA might be possible but impractible, and prolly unuseable if the pilot wasn't used to using AoA on a dail basis as Mach did coming aboard the boat.

As far as the FPV, it would likely be updated at a decent rate - maybe 50 or 60 times a second, same as the digital attitude display. The inertial velocities must be sampled at a healthy rate or your nav errors are off the chart. EDITORIAL NOTE: The current use of GPS is super, but I can see less maintenance and care for the "good old inertial" units. But back to the chase - if you are pulling and that FPV ain't moving the same direction as the stick, then you are in a heap of trouble. This is much easier to see in a HUD, as the pitch lines are "real world' and you can only see about 15 degrees total from top to bottom. However, they were extremely helpful maintaining a 3 deg descent angle or any angle you wished. A PAR was so easy it felt like cheating.

Last edited by gums; 5th Mar 2013 at 22:24.