PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does anyone know what happen to this guy after being grounded?
Old 5th Mar 2013, 22:14
b15oxo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Fighter Pilot BBC TV Series.....

I was recently invited by Gareth Stringer (Editor Global Avaition Resource) to write a book about my life, including my RAF Career.

I am going to tell the truth; there has been so much b******it spoken about the Series it's time to reveal the truth,OK?

A few FACTS first.
The BBC filmed a week at Biggin Hill and nobody was selected! So they came back and did it again.

The week they filmed, myself- Martin Oxborrow,and Robbie Low,Rhod Smart, Trevor Lewis, and Alastair Stewart., were there .John McCrea was not! John walked into a room at Octu Henlow set up to record someone else, they heard his story and thought Milkman Flies Jets would be good, so there it was !. I was the only one from the original week to gain their Wings.
Along the way, Trevor Lewis was chopped at Linton, as was Rhod Smart who re-mustered to become a Nav on 74 Sqn ( I believe). Alastair Stewart re-mustered to Nav didn'# like it and keft RAF. I didn't make it to Valley, but wentto Mets at Finningley, earned my WIngs, C130 Co Pilot/Captain 3000hrs Total. Med Discharged 97. Robbie Lowwas chopped at Valley, re-mustered Nav - Tornadoes ended up as Wg Cdr, now Flt Lt Reservist. John McCrea went to Buccaneers, CFS, QFi at Cranwell, Now at Barkston Heath as Reservist as is his Son!!!!
If you want to know more it'll be in the book ok.
The BBC book of the Series was a Best Selelr for 6 weeks, The series was adored byJoe Public (5 to 6 million an episode), hated by the Senior RAF chaps.
Colin Strong the Director failed Officer Training in Natrional Service and had an axe to grind and a chip on his shoulder.(Witness the Air Officer getting dressed and in the background are the Gentlemens' Urinals...) Dont believe evrything you see on TV!! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...lies/smile.gif