PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod AEW radar operators needed!!
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2013, 22:12
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was/am one of the few lucky? holders of a Q-ANEW-A and was one of the 6 who did the first Nimrod AEW ground crew course. It consisted of a standard Nimrod course at Kinloss, followed by a Nimrod course at BAe Woodford, followed by a "differences" course again at BAe Woodford. A posting to Waddington ensued and a short term of employment ensued before my re deployment to the mighty transport base in Wiltshire. If the OP needs to get a story or two from the flying side I recommend contacting a certain S/Ldr "Jethro" Tull, if you can. He told me this story ( remember he told me this because he was trying to explain to mere ground crew the problems they were having with the radar, and doubted my ability to understand):

It was decided that Nimrod AEW would fly off with the E3A AWACS, as an attempt was made to set a "current" standard the still operational Shackleton AEW was to take part as well. Off they all go out over the North Sea trying to find a boat (a particular boat). Shackleton calls in on frequency, "boat located on radar, just behind the island at 3 miles".

E3A " roger, island noted and looking".

Nimrod AEW " What Island ? "

Say no more !

Last edited by smujsmith; 5th Mar 2013 at 22:14.