PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Solo - Why the 4th time is harder than the 1st
Old 5th Mar 2013, 15:30
Sillert,V.I.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At that stage in my flying career, I just wish I'd had even 1% of the airmanship & good judgment you've shown here.

Your fist solo is arguably the safest flight you'll ever make alone. If your instructor has done their job properly, you have absolutely no decisions to make & you can focus 100% on flying the aircraft exactly the same way you just did a few moments before.

A trip like this is light years ahead in terms of responsibility & judgment, and at this stage for most folks, the combined workload of both flying and decision making inevitably means your basic handling will not be as good as it was during your first solo. It may feel as though your flying has taken a step backward, but this is because you now have to multitask those basic flying skills with all the other tasks that are necessary to manage a solo flight in which you are using the aircraft for a purpose. You may find your landings are not quite as smooth as that first one, but as long as they are safe, you are doing just fine and all will be well .