PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avalon Air Show - Waste Of Time
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2013, 11:52
jas24zzk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does it cost too much?

$60 for a public day ticket.

hmmm sounds a lil pricy.

VH-XXX gave some other examples..........the massage...provided its quality Reiki tops the list.

However...lets have a look.......

I arrived on field at roughly 1000, departed at 1630. So basically 8.5 hours 'entertainment'

60/8.5= $7.05 per hour.

Thats cheap entertainment in anyones language....you can't even fuel a jabiru for that!.

The show relies on the public paying the dollars....according to the commentator on Satd'y there were over 100k heads in attendance....without that, no show!
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Oshkosh Vs Avalon...buyers perspective.
You simply cannot compare. It is the attendee's that drive the difference.

At oshkosh, most 'buyers' arrive reasonably well informed on the product they wish to purchase, they arrive with money in the bank, and if the guy on the stall is friendly enough, they make a purchase at the 'airshow discount price' ( the vendors even carry stock to sell)

Here in OZ, it seems vendors prefer to present their product to you at the show, make a contact and meet with you later, rather than make a hard sell there and then. I've noticed this in both aviation and automotive (my own industry) I've been to many auto trade shows, and when you expressed an interest in something they hand you the std literature and send you on your way. If you expressed an intention to purchase then the whole persona changed. They don't try to corner you into a buy now (plenty of that available if you want) but they take your details, spend and extra 5 mins with you, with an undertaking to get a rep to contact you.
The last trade show I went to, as i was relocating and my major interest was int he purchase of an oven....depending on model 40-120k investment. The sellers used the show well, and the following several weeks were spent being wined and dined to win my business.

I think the vendors at the show are following this formula.
-----------------------------------------------------------

I got my ticket as a gift, else may have not gone..

I'd like to thank the staff at Tristar Aviation for the dead head ride into the show in the back of ABI.

Cheers
Jas