PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stapleford
Thread: Stapleford
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2013, 08:43
taxistaxing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I revalidated my PPL at Stapleford early last year, have flown into the field a couple of times as a PPL, completed my night rating there late last year, and am considering them for my CPL and MEIR. I'd summarise as follows:

Good points:

- Instructors I have experience of were excellent, with one exception who was mediocre (PM me if you want more details);
- Landing fees are included in the price which makes the pricing structure a lot clearer. Contrast with (e.g.) Biggin Hill where I did my PPL originally, and must have spent £500+ in airport charges/landing fees over the whole course;
- C152s are availalbe to train in - there aren't as many of them around these days and they are substantially cheaper than 4 seaters. You can always upgrade to 4 seaters after finish your PPL and want to start touring;
- The airfield is conveniently located for central London, even if you don't drive.

Bad points:

- The organisational side of things lets the side down. To some extent you accept this due to the low prices, but a few times I showed up for lessons to find a mistake had been made with booking, and I was without an instructor or aircraft;
- Most of the fleet are pretty knackered - although to be fair you will probably find that at most flying schools, given the capital cost of new aircraft and the general (sorry) state of the GA industry in the UK;
- The circuit is somewhat chaotic, and the main runway is 600m tarmac, 400m grass and sloping (although this could be seen as a good point as if you can master this circuit, and this runway, you should be able to fly anywhere!).

Overall I would recommend them, at least up to PPL level, based on my experiences so far. Definitely worth going down there for a look, speaking to some of the instructors, and going for a trial lesson with them to see how you feel about it.

Last edited by taxistaxing; 5th Mar 2013 at 08:44.