PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2013, 07:51
A-FLOOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CONF iture
It is limited what a sim can reproduce in terms of intensity and duration in the time. As a matter of fact how often a crew in the sim will succumb to the illusion during a GA practice to the point to hit the ground at the Afriqiyah's way ?
Intensity perhaps, but duration, no. This is my point: while all other accelerations (linear and rotational) are time limited depending on the stroke of the motion system, this is the one thing simulators are able to simulate indefinitely just by changing the gravity vector, using the somatogravic illusion in reverse and rotating the cab around an axis which is aligned with the flight crew's inner ears. I don't have the data handy how quickly an A330-200 will accelerate in a normal GA, but I'm fairly sure this figure is well within what the X-axis low-pass motion filter can produce, with room to spare for pitch changes. Besides, isn't the fact that crews in the sim will succumb to the same illusion in itself a testament to the sim's fidelity in this particular situation?