PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avalon Air Show - Waste Of Time
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2013, 05:48
zappalin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll straddle the fence and say that while I enjoyed the show, it didn't bring anything new that made it stand out. I've been to 2009, 2011 and 2013 but don't think I'll go to 2015 unless there are some big announcements.

This year there was no military or civil aircraft that I hadn't seen at one of the previous shows. Saw the Raptor on static 2011, but was glad to catch the display this year. I guess the ACJ was there on the trade days but obviously you couldn't have a look in without being someone - from the outside it's just a A319! Apart from those the large aircraft static show was much the same.

2011 there was a V Oz 777 on static, and a Q A380 (until it departed early) - can't remember all too well but think a Q 747 subbed in for it.
2013 - one Qlink Dash 8 on static, with no-one there to talk to, not even a sign to say what it was for those less informed. I guess Jetstar arriving and departing were the civil airliners part of the show...

Also can't quite remember... but was 2011 some anniversary of some kind for the USAF? They had a much larger presence compared to this year. B-1B, some sort of AWACS, their own Rhinos. All wonderful things that didn't make it this time around.

I went on one of the trade days, and was supposed to go again with some non-industry mates on the public days. In the end I just couldn't justify the $60 ticket again to see the same displays over again, much as I enjoyed it.

That said, for those seeing it for the first time I bet they had a great time! The event ran smoothly and all of those behind the stands were friendly and more than ready to have a chat. Matt Hall is a gentleman and an inspiration, and once my niece and nephew are a little older I'd love to take them to hear him speak - I'm sure they'll get the aviation bug too.

So my review B/B+. Everything was good, but you can't have LESS than the last one. Keep on building and getting bigger!