PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avalon Air Show - Waste Of Time
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2013, 23:32
FullOppositeRudder

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
It was my first Avalon visit. Along with the flight director I took a package deal flying to / from ADL for Friday afternoon and all of Saturday up to 4:30 when it was time to bus back to MEL. It included a Gold Pass, which seemed only to give access to the stand area and a few goodies - hat, program, lanyard etc. I wouldn't bother to get one next time.

We enjoyed all aspects of the show, some very much so. It's hard to pick the high point there were several candidates. Disappointed that the Spitfire and Mustang couldn't fly on Saturday due to cross winds, but that's OK, we understand, and we'll catch up at Temora some time.

It was well organised in all aspects - given the uncertainties which plague events of this magnitude, and the huge force of volunteers did their jobs well and courteously. The aircraft displays speak for themselves. All good, some mind blowing.

I have to say that the American commentary on some parts of the show was "grating". No offense yous guys, I know that's how you do it back home, but it can be too much in other countries and that how we perceived it. Just tell us what's happening without all the B/S.

From a photographic aspect, Avalon suffers in the same way that Temora does. The afternoon program takes place into the sun so it's difficult to capture detail on the aircraft in the same way as in the morning display. Nothing can be done about this but I was envious of the CFA blokes (were you one of them Buster?) out on the western side after about 1300.

I've ticked the Avalon box for now. I might come back if health and advancing years permit, but I'm in no rush. It was good, and we vote 4+ stars.