PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Scottish Air Force
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2013, 13:19
Party Animal

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Speaking as an Englishman who lives in Scotland and having spent most of my RAF life based in Scotland...., I have absolutely no idea how the vote will go but if there is a RSAF of the future, I would be first in the queue to jump across (if they would have me). I'd even take a considerable pay cut to do so.

Just think, for the 1st time in 20 years, I'd belong to an organisation trying to build up from scratch. Everyday would be talks on expansion and taking on new and more staff, probably with open minded leadership as opposed to FJ is the be all and end all and the mantra of cuts/savings/cuts/savings etc...

But back to CM's original starter. I reckon 12 x Typhoons would work (similar to Slovakia with 12 x MiG 29's). This would be sufficient to maintain an independant QRF capability and stop NATO worrying about having to defend the latest member. Maintenance packages and maybe conversion would be catered for south of the border. Nothing unusual nowadays, especially when you consider platform types currently in service that the RAF needs to train on in the States.

Next priority would be MPA. Probably a lease type package of 7 x P3's with a laydown similar to New Zealand. Following that would be SH and AT. Not sure how many numbers and of what type but matched to the size of the Army (Scottish Brigade maybe??). Finally, for the RSN, a Frigate/OPV mix.

All training outsourced to the best provider or home grown in a joint HQ/Training setup for all ranks of all services.

Anyone else??