PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Naples Air Center, Florida - who has actually been there?
Old 4th Mar 2013, 10:08
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did some flying at two Naples schools a couple of years ago.

I was entirely satisfied with customer service, aircraft and instructors at both schools and would happily fly/train with either again - but they were different so, ideally, potential students should visit both and decide which is more suited to them.

Naples Air Center
Richard Gentil (Owner) and all the FIs with whom I flew were friendly and helpful. I was happy to fly with whoever was available, sometimes at short notice, and was very satisfied with the instruction I received on each occasion.
The Warrior was old, as they usually are at UK flying schools/clubs, but that didn't bother me. I'm used to flying vintage aircraft a lot older than that. It performed and handled well and I had no reason to doubt that it was properly maintained. (Their C172s are newer but I wanted Warrior time.)

In common with other large busy schools, NAC has sometimes been described on PPRuNe as a 'pilot factory'. Perhaps it is in some respects: it's been in existence for many years and has certainly produced many pilots. Although the so called pilot factories don't suit everyone, they serve a useful purpose - if they didn't, people wouldn't train with them. (One of the FIs with whom I flew had trained and qualified at NAC a couple of years earlier.)

RexAir
RexAir is newer but well established. Rex (Owner, FI and A&P Mechanic) worked for another FTO at Naples, where several sources say he was highly respected, before setting up his own school.
I'm not surprised RexAir grew quickly and has a good reputation. The atmosphere was welcoming, helpful and professional. When I asked about the C172 I'd be renting for a trip to Key West a couple of days later I was invited to inspect their aircraft. The C172 I flew was in immaculate condition - one of the newest school/flying club aircraft I've ever flown.
Rex was obviously entirely straight, went carefully through each item on my invoice and I'm confident would ensure customer satisfaction if any issues arose.
My impression is that RexAir is more 'personal'. Their dedication to customer satisfaction was second to none that I've encountered over a few decades' flying in the UK and in several other parts of the world, including other states in the US.

BTW, although flying in America is much cheaper than in the UK the actual cost is often higher than appears in the advertised rates. It's important to establish before you fly precisely what will be charged and how it will be charged.
eg
  • Is there a fuel surcharge? If so, how much is it per hour?
  • UK schools don't usually charge for pre/post flight briefings but American schools commonly charge it as 'Ground Instruction'. If there is a charge, what is the rate? (Distinguishing between instruction and general conversation could be tricky. I haven't thought of a solution but if I was going to do a training course with an American school I would try to devise one.)
  • If you land away when dual, will you be charged for FI time on the ground? I haven't experienced that in the UK but American schools usually charge. If so, is it at full or reduced rate? (I don't know what NAC charge because I didn't land away; RexAir charge half-rate.)

Naples Airport

The airport is about ten minutes drive from the centre of town. It’s busy (average 300 movements per day), mainly corporate jets and light aircraft, but the controllers are very efficient and there were no long frustrating waits on the ground with the Hobbs ticking up.
Occasional instructions to hold before joining or to extend the circuit were no hardship – just a good excuse to see more of Naples’ glorious coastline at low level.

Marco Island Airport

About 10 nm south east of Naples.
Useful for circuit practice because it’s much quieter (about 50 movements per day) and you can fly smaller circuits.

Everglades Airpark

About 28 nm from Naples. Very quiet - fewer than 100 movements per week.
Airboats and yachts passing very close to the 15 threshold can be a little disconcerting at first!

Overhead Everglades Airpark

En route to Key West on an overcast morning so the picture doesn't do justice to the beauty of the area. The top of the photo shows part of 'Ten Thousand Islands' - a chain of small islands and mangrove islets off the coast. If you have time to spare I recommend visiting the Everglades. Fascinating, especially if you're interested in wildlife.

Downwind at Key West International

Base leg

Overseas Highway - part of the famous Seven Mile Bridge

I highly recommend a flight to Key West - fabulous scenery en route and an interesting destination.
It's 2½-3 hours round-trip in a C172. We did some sight-seeing, and a touch and go at Florida Keys Marathon Airport on the way home, so it was 4 hours total.

Tudor Owen

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 4th Mar 2013 at 10:11.