PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Daily Mail - nostalgia in the skies
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2013, 09:53
603DX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting, this subject of dressing standards. Speaking personally as a retired former professional man, I wouldn't be seen dead in 'pink pyjamas' even at bedtime, let alone for air travel in public! And tattoos of any hideous shape or form are anathema to me. But my attitude to other people's bizarre apparel and 'tribal markings' is rather more liberal than some views expressed here. If they wish to dress like clowns in our blessedly free society, who am I to dictate otherwise? I will continue to dress for air travel as I have always done, in my own interpretation of what is widely termed 'smart casual'. In temperate climates, this generally includes a shirt with collar and tie, slacks with blazer or sports jacket, and brogues or hush puppies for footwear. For hotter regions, no tie or jacket perhaps, or maybe my summer lightweight linen jacket.

Having worked or holidayed in various parts of the world, my own creed is to dress appropriately to the local conditions, but always with an eye to style and smartness. But my experience of the astonishing range of clothing worn by the indigenous population overseas makes me much more tolerant of what the folk around me choose to wear, wherever I am.

I can't help feeling there is a rather unpleasant air of snobbishness and class distinction being shown here ...