PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - James Strong dies
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2013, 09:04
Algie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As one of those who didn’t know Mr. Strong well, I know little of his personal characteristics. And thus am unable to comment on the legacy he leaves with his family and friends. Despite that I send sincere best wishes to his family knowing that it is never easy to lose someone close to you personally, whatever their professional background.

Professionally however the situation is different. Mr. Strong sought and built himself a high profile, so those (and there are many) who live with his professional legacy are entitled to evaluate the impact his “high profile” had on the industry.

And it is here where the rose-coloured “don’t speak ill of the dead” glasses need to be taken off, and some hard reality checks applied.

Firstly (and importantly for Qantas today)-there is the enormous and ongoing impact of decisions he either made, presided over, or took part in, to progressively dismantle the critical mass of Qantas by asset sales, route cutbacks, outsourcing, segmenting and progressive introduction of the “divide and conquer” theory of business units and industrial relations. Add to that impact the almost unbelievable decision to turn Qantas’ back on the 777 generation, an era not yet over by a long-shot. Collective impact of all of this? At least a couple of PhD’s worth of effort to estimate that but I think the word “zillions” brings us close.

But the real focus of my mind, as the shadows lengthen for me and my friends, is way further back than his time with Qantas. I don’t want to dwell on this too much. Just to say that there was a time when he had choices about his role in the planning, direction, execution and consequences of the Dispute.

The Road Less Travelled option for Mr Strong was one of conciliation, of principle, of equity, of discussion, compromise and rebuilding. He had that choice available then, despite the intense pressures from the Prime Minister and those behind the Prime Minister. He had the chance to simply say “Enough: thus far and no further”. Yes there would have been pain for him: inner sanctums may have been denied him. Open doors to the inside of the establishment may have slammed shut. For whatever reasons he chose the easier path, the slippery slope so attractive for those who find courage much harder to find than platitudes.

And in taking that path he failed that most basic test of all-he failed to do what was right.

Not what was right for him-he made the right decision there. But what was right for the industry, the future, the employees and indeed the country. He chose a path that involved a significant role, by design or neglect, in the gutting of his own airline and stone by stone the creation of solid rock foundations of divisiveness, ideology, selfishness, intolerance and myopia.

And in doing so, erected signposts toward his time ahead at Qantas, so that the circle did indeed never end.

I do sincerely hope he rests in peace. And that peace will come to his family. But beyond that, I do hope that the structures of toxicity and tragedy he helped (or at very least watched) build will fade, to be replaced by robustness and equity. And if after the chapters of failure have vanished from memory we only remember his good points, then so be it. Everyone deserves to have something worthwhile in their legacy.

Last edited by Algie; 4th Mar 2013 at 20:07.