PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia to Lose 4500 jobs - 25 airframes
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2013, 02:09
BlueUpGood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the end Blue Up Good, however unpalatable you found it, the company had to negotiate and settle the dispute with its cabin crew.
Indeed they did, and BA showed tremendous patience waiting for Unite to finally step in and sideline Holley and co so they could start the process.

Sure Mixed Fleet was formed to justify all the angst and cost of the dispute, but apparently career progression is a bit of an illusion there as well these days so I am told.
Lost me there Count.. Are you suggesting Mixed Fleet don't have promotion?! Whoever is telling you doesn't know what they are talking about I'm afraid.

If I was a BA First Officer like you, I would be much more concerned with my own career progression, which in your case is currently stalled by Fat Cat senior Captains earning around £200,000 a year. Of course this is what the dispute at Iberia is all about - excessive pay and getting to market rate.
My career is going just fine thanks Count. Like most pilots I recognise that like it or not, T&C's and remuneration are a down hill slope in this day and age. The key is how steep and how fast, and the key to that is full engagement with the employer to find a mutually beneficial solution. That requires a democratic union that listens to and represents all it's members. As Keith Williams famously said, 'if you're not at the table you will be on the menu'.

At least BA pilots still have career progression, and have not had it pulled from under them by the abject failure of their union. It is external influences beyond the control of BA (age legislation) that has caused stagnation, but it won't last forever. At least pilots still have career prospects, however slow. Sadly thousands of my good friends and colleagues no longer enjoy even that due to the greed and intransigence of a handful of autocrats at BASSA's top table, who have been feasting on subs of those they purport to represent for decades.

You are quite correct, it is all about market rate and that rate is declining year on year, as are BA T&C's for pilots. We are working harder for less reward. However we are very productive, and are willing to be adaptable and open minded about how to improve our value for money to BA. Better to take a series of small steps than plunge off a cliff like lemmings led by greedy wolves.

BTW I think you need to check your facts re BA pilot pay scales Count

Last edited by BlueUpGood; 4th Mar 2013 at 02:18.