PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 10
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2013, 01:02
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm getting that sense of recursive déjà vu again. We've been over this so many times in the previous threads, so what do we say to a little realpolitik?

CONF, Lyman - I'm sure you and others would find such an experiment interesting, and truth be told you could probably derive any conclusion you wanted from the results.

But looking at it from a practical standpoint, the only reason to make a fundamental change in the behaviour of autotrim in Alternate Law (outside of better feedback on what it's doing) would be if the crew input was a reasonable course of action and in keeping with basic aircraft handling principles and the system responded in a way that had a detrimental effect on the outcome.

Now I'm sorry, but no matter which way you slice it - based on the evidence available the reactions of the crew of AF447 were neither reasonable nor in keeping with basic aircraft handling principles (NB : This is a purely factual statement, not an attempt to apportion blame or responsibility).

@bubbers44:
Originally Posted by bubbers44
Two pilots couldn't hand fly.
The devil's in the details. In fact the PF (F/O Bonin) was a sailplane pilot with advanced qualifications, so he'd likely have been better versed in stick-and-rudder than many of his peers. The key detail is that they had no experience or training in high-altitude manual handling.