PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Looking for some flying friends NSW
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2013, 21:40
spernkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for some flying friends NSW

Hello folks. After many years slogging away making a living in the UK it looks like i will be coming to an arrangement at work where i take 2/3 months away each year around May/June/July.
I used to travel a lot as a youngster but never did much in Oz at all i am afraid to say. Last year i spent a month or so flying out of Tyabb with an instructor as i havent converted my licence! I have 1200 vfr hours on Cessnas and less than a hundred hours on Robbos, 22 and 44. Anyway, i got the bug for Australia and after a bit of research i have decided to come back and spend some time in NSW - just not at the hottest time of year!
I intend to buy a camper van and a Cessna (or a share?) to use over the next few years out there and travel and fly as much as possible, just with plenty of time near a friendly airfield. I tend to like the quieter out of town fields and dont think Bankstown would be for me.
So i am looking for a couple of bits of advice for which pprune is always good.
1. Any idea of which airfields i might research? i suppose anything along the lines of Camden might be good, maintenance on site, aircraft hire, a few hours builders around to come and fly with me, maybe a cafe on site?
2. Bit vague this but i might need a bit of an "Aviation" friend on an airfield out there or an obliging airfield owner who could perhaps store the van and look out for my plane for the bulk of the time i am away. An engineer perhaps with a bit of space to spare in return for some money and goodwill? I leave my Cessna in the uk with a flying school for example to keep the engine sweet through the winter when i dont fly so much. Works well.
Any contacts/advice gratefully received. Thanks in advance.
S.B.