PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dambusters latest
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2013, 20:59
Archimedes

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivan Rogov
I've have never understood the logic for 617 or 120 Sqns often quoted 'protected' status. I understand they got given their standards before the usual 25 years in recognition of WW2 service, but wasn't this a reward for junior Squadrons to put them on a level with Squadrons that already had a standard, not a higher award to mark these as more important Squadrons.

What am I missing that they did that makes them more significant than many other distinguished Squadrons?
I suspect that the fact that the King was in no small part responsible for the distinction may have had something to do with it; in essence CXX and 617 had the royal seal of approval, and this was held to give them that 'something' extra.

At the time, it wasn't seen - at least from the documentation I've seen - as bringing them up to a level with squadrons with a standard, but as a sign of particular distinction: think of it as being along the lines of, but perhaps not identical to, a US Presidential Unit Citation for a USAAF formation, or the conferring of a high award upon a body/institute (akin to the GC to the RUC and Malta).