PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Va Maneuvering
Thread: Va Maneuvering
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2013, 16:05
Brian Abraham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is, Vo that is explained by Oxford, not Va.
I think there be a little confusion.

§ 23.1507 Operating maneuvering speed.

The maximum operating maneuvering speed, VO , must be established as an operating limitation. VO is a selected speed that is not greater than VS √n established in § 23.335(c).

§ 23.335 Design airspeeds.

(c) Design maneuvering speed VA. For VA, the following applies:
(1) VA may not be less than VS √ n where—
(i) VS is a computed stalling speed with flaps retracted at the design weight, normally based on the maximum airplane normal force coefficients, CNA ; and
(ii) n is the limit maneuvering load factor used in design
(2) The value of VA need not exceed the value of VC used in design.

To summarise,

VA must be equal to or greater than VS √ n
VO must be equal to or less than VS √ n
You now see that Va relates only to control surfaces and their structure
Not so I'm afraid, I think you are misreading the intent behind § 23.423. VA relates to the entire airframe.

Operating Manoeuvring Speed, VO, is the maximum speed at which an aircraft in symmetrical flight at the specified flight weight and configuration will stall (unload) before exceeding limit load and sustaining possible structural damage. Aircraft are therefore aerodynamically g-limited by the lift line up to manoeuvring speed, and structurally g-limited by the load line above it. Manoeuvring speed is also the maximum speed for turbulent air penetration, although a speed somewhat less—fast enough to avoid stall yet slow enough to diminish the loads experienced—is usually recommended. (In an aircraft subjected to a sharp vertical gust of given intensity, the increase in structural load—and thus the acceleration the pilot feels—varies directly with airspeed.)

An example is the Cirrus SR20 which has the following Operating Manoeuvring Speeds (VO).

2900 lbs 135kts
2600 lbs 126kts
2200 lbs 116kts

Last edited by Brian Abraham; 3rd Mar 2013 at 16:15.