PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2013, 14:46
Tom the Tenor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turkish has been mentioned on here now a few times. Apparently, a few years ago TK put Cork under the microscope but nothing came of it at the time. However, you can always return to the well and my understanding is that a contengent of the Cork Airport gang were recently at a Turkey tourism fare in Dublin. As against that Turkish are about to increase their service to Dublin from daiy to about eleven or twelve a week once the summer schedule begins so that will have made it somewhat harder for Cork in the Istanbul department. No harm in plugging away at it though for next year if the increased Dublin services do well.

What is of far more concern is news that BA biz type passnegers are being offered very significant price reductions if passengers begin their long haul travel from Dublin through Heathrow as against Cork and for that matter, presumably, Shannon as well. There are so many empty seats on many of the BA Heathrow Dublin flights that if you compare fares with Cork on the Aer Lingus/British Airways codeshare as against Dublin originating BA long haul flights the saving ex Dublin are very substantial. One example quoted was a biz class fare from Dublin to Australia was more than Euro 1,000 cheaper than a Cork originating flight on the BA codeshare.

I prefer not to use coarse language on this forum as there is enough of it in daily life but with the above comparison in mind Cork Airport is bolloxed!

Game over, nearly. It is all very discouraging.

At least snn will have their core North Atlantic long haul assured in the months ahead with the Aer Lingus 757 deal. I am mentioning snn not from an envying point of view but it must give some kind of reassurance.

Hope in the future of Cork Airport - what hope?