PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Teaching "real" flying
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2003, 09:33
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are such places around, you just need to look for them. The Tiger Club, at Headcorn, will rent you a Rollason Turbulent for £40/hour, for example (something which I hope to have a go at either later this year, or more likely next year).

We all know that PFA aircraft are cheaper to run than CofA aircraft, but I doubt that allowing schools to rent PFA aircraft to post-PPL hirers would actually make very much difference. Much of the price difference comes from the fact that the owners of PFA aircraft are able to do their own maintenance. A school would not be able to take advantage of this - they would still need to pay someone to do their maintenance.

The PFA coaching scheme is, from the limited interactions I've had with it, excellent - but it's only open to owners of PFA aircraft unfortunately. But I do believe that grass-roots flying is available to anyone who's recently (or not-so-recently) got their PPL. If you have to look a little further to find it, then I think that can only come down to supply and demand.

FFF
----------------