PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using RFID for Tool Control
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2013, 04:15
flingwing1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jack- I heard a first unofficial quote from one agent in SIN saying that, too. He said $1-$2 each. Later, he upped it to $2-4. When asked why the increase, he said he was including the price of the "special tape" used to affix the RFID tags to the tools (we do the tagging, though).

That wasn't the deal killer, though. That Dutch agent of a large US tool firm was the same one who only later made it clear you'd have to have the tools laid out neatly in cutouts.

St. Jack, we're at the point now where I do want to see a demonstration. I need to see this thing work, both with tools in cutouts and tools just "thrown" in a toolbox. If you don't mind can you say we're you saw your demo? I'd hate to call some company rep here to INA and then realize his RFID scheme wouldn't work for us or cost a small fortune (i.e., hundreds of thousands of dollars).

Thanks for this help, everyone. We have a large audit coming in July so this tool control thing had better be fixed before then. Right now, it looks like making RFID work for us or buying new tool boxes for everyone with cutouts and self-inventories each day, or a combination of both. Thanks.