PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2013, 19:04
Danny42C

Tales of Old Valley.

26er,

Your account of Valley raises goosebumps ! My log tells me that July '51 was a busy one for me - 22 trips (one three in a day, a couple of twos, 24 hrs all in Spitfires. So there's me, head down, engrossed in my paperback, shuttling between Barmouth/Aberdovey, not a care in the world, never even looking out of the window - and there's you and a whole AFS load of Bloggs milling about all over the place ! Talk about living dangerously !
(Were you warned off Towyn ? - I do hope so)

You went from Flights (over far side, almost on beach) over to Mess by bike. Did you have to climb a little hill ? And was it a Nissen hut ? (we'll get to the bottom of this, somehow !)

"Aunty Tattie" Club ? Just "Tatty Club" in my day. Did they still have an old Bardic Chair (all carved dragons and things) from some past Eisteddfod ? (check spelling). If so, same place. Access was by little footbridge across the creek just off end of 34.. Approaches to bridge were underwater at high tide, but if depth no more than a foot (and on an ebb tide), you could charge it with a bike and hit planking with luck, or get very wet. No crash gate in my time.

Cheers again, Danny.