PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F35s grounded.
Thread: F35s grounded.
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2013, 16:08
Turbine D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi barit1,

I would agree with you, there are a lot of subtle things that cause A/B issues including the one you mentioned. During the 2009 time period in testing the F-35, they ran into an A/B screech problem where they couldn't get the engine to full power and high vibrations were a problem. The problem generally occurs at lower altitudes and high speeds. It's a problem you can't wring out in a test cell per se, but can be fixed changing fuel schedules & software and modifications to A/B hardware confirmed by flight testing.

SpazSinbad,

I did see and read the article you posted, but it isn't the full story. A fuller story is available here:

F-35 Cleared For Flight | Defense News | defensenews.com

Keep in mind the bigger picture here, cost overruns, delays in the testing program, the general cost of this aircraft relative to the various aircraft it is replacing and funding issues have generated much pressure on DoD management. So I don't believe we will see anything but very guarded statements tending to be as "positive" as they can be in newsprint articles. The customer (Lt. Gen. Christopher Bogdan) has stated his general unhappiness with both aircraft and engine at this point in time verses what was promised even although the flight status has been cleared to resume, once again.

TD