PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall speed in climbing turn
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2013, 23:50
photofly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pull what
Can anyone shed some light on how there is an increase in the stalling speed in a climbing turn. I cannot see how there can be an increase unless there is an increase in wing loading and I cannot see how wing loading is increased if there is no back pressure on the CC, am I missing something here?
An airplane is trimmed to fly at a particular angle of attack, hands off; that's an inherent feature of the pitch stability mechanism.

If you don't apply back pressure then the AoA won't change, and since stall depends only on AoA you won't ever get any closer or further away from a stall, no matter what manoeuvre you fly.

I cannot see how there can be an increase unless there is an increase in wing loading and I cannot see how wing loading is increased if there is no back pressure on the CC
If you enter a turn hands off then wing loading increases due solely to an increase in airspeed. You're no nearer or further away from a stall though because without exerting a stick force you haven't changed the AoA away from the trimmed AoA.

This is what happens in a spiral dive.