PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Canadian Air Force.
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2013, 21:40
767-300ER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To the OP....

If you want to join the RCAF, go for it...

Don't listen to these overbearing, patriotic aviators....

I did the RCAF thing (it was the CF in my days), I did my time, and I left...along with about 75% of my course mates.

If you have the motivation and desire, you can do it.

Would I go to Moose Jaw and brag about how I was going to do min time, and then get out? Nope....but lots of guys do it quietly, and are discrete about it.

Was the CF good? Yep, training was excellent, no other company in the world is going to spend that type of money on you, that's for sure.

Flying in the CF? It's ok, but a lot depends upon the job you get....flying a Sea King off the back of a boat in the middle of the night might not appeal to you...or spending 6 hours orbiting above a bunch of "fishheads" while they play their oceanic wargames....or flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog sh!t out of Hong Kong...and for most people they all become boring more or less

Every job has it's draw backs, including commercial flying..

The RCAF path will give you great training, pretty good money and benefits, but at the cost of freedom and control of your life!

But the opportunities from commercial flying have been awesome for me and my family. The travel and benefits can't be touched by the RCAF...IMO